Saturday, December 7, 2013

End of Semester Graduate School for Art Therapy - Impatient Sculpture

Well it is official, I have everything in for my first semester at Graduate School for Art Therapy. On top of taking three graduate level courses this semester, I needed 6 credit hours of studio art in 3 D work. I still have two weeks left in my Sculpting Class at Pima Community College with Joe Del Par who is an amazing teacher - I highly recommend any of his classes. I also participated in over 60 hours of clay wheel work and hand building at the Tucson Clay Co-Op, also a great place to learn. My roommate joined me at the Clay Co-op and has just taken to clay like a natural. I think she will continue there as I go back to focus more on painting and watercolor. I have truly missed those mediums this semester. I have done some Acrylics at Art Awakenings here in Tucson which I will post here in the next couple of days. However, I wanted to share my adventures into 3D art. My first assignment in my sculpting class was a Non-Objective Piece (So it could not look like anything in everyday reality). I had a sheet of wood to work with and Pima West has a ton of tools (I am the POWER TOOL Queen now). So for this first piece, each student had to take a feeling word from a hat and create that feeling with the wood. We could paint our pieces with only one color. My Word was Impatient. I tried to give the idea of going in many directions, somewhat chaotically, and I painted it orange because impatiences has some feeling of frustration and anger which I connect with red but it is more mellow - those the orange. I have included a view from the top and from the side.

No comments: