Monday, July 5, 2010

Poem, Struggle of Faith, Monday, July 5, 2010

Sometimes I think I finally understand something,

But it slips away like water in a hand.

I have a simple idea of life and God through my story

That appears radically wrong to mainstream Christianity.

I struggle, toil, and study to discover the deep things of God and man,

And I am left with more questions upon unanswered questions.

My finite brain trying to wrap around the infinite mind of Christ,

I am left with the light and dark simplicity of following the Holy Spirit,

Working my salvation out with fear and trembling,

And constantly screwing up because I am nowhere near like Christ.

I go back to the Gospel again and again,

The basics of grace, mercy, love, forgiveness—

My heart dwells there like a child eating candy.

Are we ever able to follow grasp the Gospel?

Is there anything basic or simple about God?

As I am trying to rationalize these things with my mind,

I realize, I am unable to fully comprehend

Because it all comes down to faith.

No comments: